The roofing is required after every few years due to extreme weather conditions and depreciation in the quality of the roof. Even if you had bought a new home a few years back, it is best to ensure that roof is maintained properly.
However, roofing is not cheap. An improper decision taken without adequate research can cost you more than what is required. It can also lead to shoddy work and further harm your home. It would not be difficult to decide when you need to replace or repair your roof but knowing about costs, material and labor is necessary too.
It is not wise to put off roofing for some other part of the year as roof damage can lead to serious structural issues for your home and would have an impact in the long run. This can also lead to water seepage problem.
It is not easy to give an accurate prediction of the cost of roofing, but there is a tool: https://www.diyroofs.com/roofing-cost-estimator.php. It would depend upon different state and local laws besides the quality of material and labor used. You can start by contacting your local roofing experts. Be sure to go for experienced and trusted ones. You local authority website should be able to provide you with guidelines for locating roofing professionals.
With the help of a roofing professional, you will be able to assess damage to your roof. He will also let you know if repairs would be sufficient or replacement would be required. In most cases, repairs should suffice. However, if you are going for roofing for a structure whose regular maintenance had been neglected, then replacement is the only option.
What To Know About Roofing Costs?
1. The costs for such jobs would be measured in “squares”. Factors like the kind of roof, the material used during previous roofing, the height of your roof and local laws would also impact the cost.
2. While you can do roofing yourself after taking advice from a roofing professional and save significant costs, a professional roofing contractor would be better, although it would cost more. If you are planning to do it on your own, then you should do it quickly as any gaps could further damage your roof.
3. Before you can have a new roof, it is important to remove the old one. The cost to remove the old roof would depend upon a number of factors like height, size, material quality and the number of layers. While one-layer roof can cost around $ 120 per square to remove, a triple-layer roof can easily cost around $ 150 per square to remove.
4. Instead of removing old roof, you can go for layering of the roof. It is not recommended by most roofing professionals as it can reduce the lifespan of the new roof and might violate local laws. However, it is the cheapest option when it comes to dealing with the old roof.
5. The quality of the material is most important when it comes to roofing. Using inferior quality material can reduce the lifespan of your roof, cause permanent structural damage and also cause danger to the safety of your family. If you want to go for cheaper options, then you can start with asphalt shingles (costs around $ 130 per square). They are commonly used roofing material but other materials like metal (costs around $500 per square) and wood(costs around $ 200 per square) are recommended too. You can also explore clay and slate tiles. It would depend upon your local weather conditions and local laws. Using higher quality materials can increase the longevity of your roof and make it more attractive.
6. Be careful about local permits, as any violation on your part can increase your costs. It would be better to consult your roofing professional about this.
A roof provides protection to you and your loved ones against extreme weather conditions like rains, hurricane, sunlight. It is wise to invest in roofing and secure your home.